Thursday, February 26, 2009

Me vs. Teenager


Yesterday I got into it with a sixteen year old. By "into it" I mean one of those discussions you used to have with your parents...where you had no idea what they were talking about, and after 15 minutes of being screamed at, you would do anything to make it stop. I'm a walking ball of empathy, so I'm thinking that was her point of view. By "sixteen year old" I mean teenager that lives with me because her life is a hot mess, and I seemed to be the best option to take her in. She has lived with me full time for almost a year now.

The argument, from my point of view, because there are always two sides...and well...it's my blog...stemmed from approximately two weeks of smart ass attitude. She is mostly a decent kid. Gets average grades. Does what she is told (I said mostly). She doesn't do drugs. And she doesn't hang out on the regular with shady people. I realize while I type that what I have just listed seems really only to be the bare minimum of acceptable behavior. And I just made a laundry list as if it is enough.

What's more interesting, is that as a result of the argument, I confiscated her cell phone. To make a long story short: yes, I did what every parent wants to do; yes, I invaded her privacy; yes, I reviewed her call log; and yes, I read her text messages. Inbox. And Sent.

And what I found was disturbing on so many levels, that I think I actually made an "ewwww yuck" face at myself, alone in my bathroom. I may have also made a noise.

Leaving out any graphic nonsense, it's apparent that she and her sixteen year old boyfriend have decided to engage in phone/text sex. Where kids this age learn the correct vocabulary for something so x-rated and above and beyond the dirty and what they can possibly get out of it, I don't know. Shit....I don't even really know what you can get out of real sex at that age.

On one hand, it's natural and typical for a teenager to be curious about sex, and all the drama it brings. This sort of communication, for all I know, is the modern day equivalent of making out in the backseat of your first car. But on the other hand: WTF!!!!!!!!

I don't even know how this story ends...

No comments:

Post a Comment